Thursday, May 9, 2013

Jumping Jehosaphat!!

I bet you read this title and were so curious as to why I would name this post "Jumping Jehosaphat." Well, there is no reason. Actually, I'm not even sure myself as to why I chose it. But it was going through my mind at the moment and I thought, "why not!?"

But now I feel obligated to give you a lesson as to what the origin of this phrase is; so here we go:

In Jerusalem, there was a wealthy king that went by the name of, you guessed it! Jehosaphat. One day, an army from the land of Koopastan, came to take away his princess and mountain of gold coins. But Jehosahat wouldn't stand for that! So he challenged the most fearless man of the Koopastan army to a one-on-one combat. Right before the battle, Jehosaphat took down some powerful mushrooms (yeah, we are all thinking the same thing). Legend has it, that when he consumed the mushrooms, he doubled in size and leaped onto the Koopastanian man and crushed him. Apparently, the mushrooms had some sort of chemical property that made is muscles grow and made him have a powerful strength. From then on, songs were created by the townspeople about him being "Jumping Jehosaphat"

The End.

As much as I'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed that educational lesson about something you never actually cared about, I will continue on to talk about my adventures in Boulder (which i'm sure you also don't really care for). Which, for the last 2 days, have kind of been non-existant.

Here's the problem. When you are someone that enjoys doing things outside, especially if they involve rock, and it's not sunny or dry, you really can't do much. So for the last two days, that has pretty much been my life.

Tuesday: So tuesday was actually a beautiful day. Sun was shining, rock was dry, and it was warm out. Problem: Everyone in my apartment went to Denver that day, which left me in Boulder with no one to climb with (I haven't gotten to the point where I have made friends yet) So I used my day to run errands. You know, get my oil changed, pick up household items. Every possible thing you don't want to do because it's boring, I got done for the most part. But I realized how nice it was out and that I couldn't waste it inside. So I grabbed my Osprey pack, water, a journal, and some music and headed off to Boulder Canyon for a walk. I went to the exact location where I went climbing the day before and there was a paved path where pretty much everyone goes running or biking. I'm sure the trail goes for miles on end, but I decided to go about 4 miles just to get an idea of the area and I knew it was going to rain later on in the day. But it was beautiful. Even with cars on my left zooming by on the Boulder Canyon Highway, it still felt like I was out in the wilderness with nothing around. Birds were chirping, wind blowing, climbers everywhere, sun brightly shining giving me the lovely sunburn that I have today. To this day, it just blows my mind that something this scenic still exists and there are people that don't even want to get out of their house to explore it. They would rather explore the inside of a mall (Something I will never understand).


 
 

Wednesday: So yesterday sucked. Not in a, "I hate boulder, I want to leave" way. But a, it's raining all day and thundering and lightning and I can't bike anywhere nor do I feel like moving.
My original plan was to go with our friend to Estes Park and get in some climbing or even just check out the place because it's supposed to be an incredible spot for crag and just outdoor activities. But time got the best of us, because I got a dresser on Craigslist (best. buy. ever) and was applying for jobs that we just decided to lay off Estes and go another day if we had time. So the way in which I occupied the rest of my day was kind of ridiculous. I chilled in my room for a few hours and then got bored but it was downpouring so I returned a book of mine to REI and then came back and my friend decided to take me to the outside of my apartment building and we used the facade to learn how to place gear, set anchors, and belay from the anchor (The things rock climbers do when they're bored). By the time all of that ended, it was about 3pm and decided to go climbing a little bit later on at The Spot. The Spot is a rock gym that is strictly bouldering. There are high ball problems and low ball, top outs and some that were not, and even a crack that was really sick. The grading system was a little bit off to me but I actually had a pretty good time. I have a feeling a lot of my friends will be made there. However, I am beyond sore because I don't know the last time I actually attempted to boulder. The remainder of my night consisted of me, a book, almond milk ice cream, and Netflix. Be jealous of my overly-thrilling night.

Well this is the most mundane post of all time if I've ever seen one. But the next week is supposed to be in the high 70s and sunny every single day. So be prepared for hopefully many pictures of rocks, the mountains, and me on my awesome new bike which i haven't even had a chance to ride yet (bummed)

No comments:

Post a Comment