Sunday, May 12, 2013

Estes Park Explored like Lewis and Clark

Before I even post about my last two days of inexplicable adventures, I just want to say something that I think everyone should think about:  

There is someone out there that has helped me realize what I need to do in life and has shown me that you venture on journeys because there is a reason behind it. There is a meaning for the decisions that you make, and even if you don’t recognize them now, you will. “You have to measure yourself at least once.” – Into the Wild

I know I’m no expert in moving or figuring out where you should go in life, but I think the one piece of advice I can say confidently is; explore your options, take risks, and make mistakes, because those are the factors in determining where your life will take you. You can come up with every excuse in the world as to why you can’t live your dream, but the only real thing stopping you is yourself. Every problem can be worked around. A plethora of opportunities are waiting and the only thing you really have to do is go and dive in head first.

So, sincerely, thank you (you know who you are), for helping me realize this and allowing me to share it with everyone that I know is at a phase in their life where they are just as stuck as I am.

*** Two Days Later ***

About 5 minutes ago, I reread the piece above so I could remember where to continue on my blog, and for some god forsaken reason, my memory has been obstructed by the views of the mountains and the delicious food I have been constantly consuming (I really just don’t want to admit that I can’t remember what I did 3 days ago). So I’m going to eliminate one of those days and talk about the only thing I can remember: My trip to Estes Park.

Paul (my roommate), my friend, and I had the intention of going to Estes Park to venture into the mountains in search of the boulders that the Estes is famous for. What we didn’t account for was the weather; but let’s back up to the beginning of the day. The drive up there was about an hour, taking Route 36 up to Rocky Mountain National Park. But here’s the thing about Colorado that always makes me end up in a state of awe. Boulder is a busy city. Not a New York City, I’m going to get hit by a cab while attempting to hold my cell phone, beeper (do those even exist anymore?), ipad, ipod, and laptop while jay walking across one of the busiest streets, busy. It’s busy in the sense that there’s always something going on. It’s almost as if Boulder is never at a stand-still. Every day you will see bikers in groups of 20 riding along Pine Street or musicians and jugglers occupying the areas on Pearl Street, entertaining the children that are holding their ice cream cones in one hand and holding the hand of their parent in the other. Food carts and farmer’s market filled with people from as early as 8am. You can’t turn a corner here and not find something going on. It’s consistent movement, in a mellow way, 24/7/365. So here is my sales pitch to you on Boulder: *said in a Mr. Moviefone tone of voice* “If you love the outdoors and want to get away from the rambunctious noise of the city but still want liveliness in your everyday life, Boulder is the perfect place for you! Climb a mountain, grab some food at a local coffee shop, and listen to street musicians all in one day!” (Did I convince you to move?)

Do you love to deviate away from a topic? Well, obviously I do. So let me get back to my original purpose of that whole paragraph. Boulder may be a busy city, but if you drive on Route 36 or any highway for that matter, within 10 minutes, you are in the middle of nowhere. You have zero cell phone service; you see no form of civilization. It’s just mountains. Pure beauty for miles and miles. Something you can’t find in New Jersey. As we drove, we saw ranches, elk, and mountains. The temperature dropped by the minute and you could start to see snow at the peak of the mountains in the distance. No matter how long I live here, I know that the landscape in Colorado will never not take my breath away.

We finally arrived to the Estes Park welcome rock, which is, of course, where we stopped to take our obligatory touristy photo in front of it so we (or maybe just I) could post it on every possible social networking site available.

Our original plan was to go to Lumpy Ridge where there was supposed to be some easy and harder climbs so all of us could be satisfied. We were told by a worker at the outdoor store that just look for the twin owl rocks and that’s where we have to go. Strangely enough, there are these two huge rock formations that look EXACTLY like two owls looking at each other. We were all in shock that we actually noticed them because we aren’t the most observant people. But when we saw the owls we clearly stopped to be tourists again, took pictures, and continued on to the entrance where we saw a sign that gave us the depressing news that the area was closed due to raptors (Yes, I immediately thought Jurassic Park and wanted to make a raptor sound so badly but I really need to keep my friends, so I withheld). We then decided to turn around and go back to the guy from the store and ask for the next best option, which was Endo Valley. We headed down the main street of Estes Park to a gate where we paid to enter a dirt path that took us to a campsite where we could park and hike a path to what would be the bouldering area. What we didn’t realize was that even though it was 70 degrees in Boulder, that doesn’t mean it’s 70 degrees an hour away. That being said, it was 55 degrees and the rock was still wet from the snow that melted from the day before. And as we continued walking up the mountain, our breathing became a lot heavier due to the altitude and exactly what we feared happened: snow started to trickle down. I’m pretty sure that within that 3 hour period from being in Boulder and getting to that point, we had experienced all 4 seasons in one day. About 20 minutes later, my Sanuks were soaked along with my socks and as my breathing was becoming heavier and heavier, we hit a foot of snow with more coming down. That’s when we realized that bouldering may be out of the question. I decided to back out of any bouldering that day, even if rock was dry, because I really don’t want to reinjure myself trying to climb something I’m not capable of. So my friend and Paul tried two climbs but with the rock being wet and the weather just not doing it for us, we decided to bail and just explore town for a little bit. We realized we have all the time in the world to go back, so it’s just going to have to be an adventure we take on another day.

 
(Please excuse how awful i look in this photo. I swear I'm much better looking)


When we got back to Boulder, and after the hour long nap I took in the car (Those winding roads and quiet mountains sure can put a girl to sleep), my friend and I decided to grab our crash pads and head into Boulder Canyon to see what we could get in last minute because everything was mostly dry. We first headed to this hiking trail that had these angelic red rock cliffs. They weren’t really boulder(able), but we still put on our shoes because they stick better and climbed up some 30-40 foot rocks. The view was what made the easy climb worth it and being outside at any point in the day overlooking the city is just inexplicable. We then moved on to a boulder that was on the side of Boulder Canyon Road that we saw in a guidebook. The climbs would’ve been good, but the landing spot wasn’t the safest and the beginning footholds were wet which we didn’t consider. And to top it off, it started raining, so we just decided this wasn’t our day and went home.
 


 

Some may say that day was a complete bust and some may say it was a waste of time. But I saw it as another travel experience. Another day to explore what surrounds me. I may have not been able to climb, but I saw 4 seasons in one day, I sat on a 40-60 foot rock formation that overlooked the entire city from a 360 degree view, I was able to spend the whole day outside with great people, and I can cross Estes Park off my bucket list (not for climbing of course).
 
I like to see the glass half full. If one day isn’t the way you expected it to be, that just gives you the opportunity to make another day that much better. You have your whole life to do the things you want, but if something doesn’t turn out the way you wanted, then turn it into something even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment