Friday, October 10, 2014

I Left My Heart in London

(fyi, this post is out of order. Holland is coming tomorrow)

This post has a lot of meaning to me. Which is why I’m designating an entire post to it.

I think that who you meet in life and who you decide to surround yourself with describes you as a person and what you want out of life. I have experienced so much in life: ups and downs, depression and happiness, the loss of good friends, and the gain of so many. I have taught myself that your happiness is dependent on what you do, who you meet, and how you take up time. There is nobody to blame but yourself. If you want to sit and do nothing all day and stare at the wall, then by all means, do it. If you want to go out and party with strangers, hey, I’m not going to be the one to stop you. Happiness has a multitude of definitions and it’s different for every single one of us. And for me, for this specific article, it’s London.

Like I mentioned earlier, my arrival to London was not something I was looking forward to. I had such low expectations, I didn’t really want to be there. I hated my first night in my hostel. No one was friendly, I paid a lot of money for it, and it was very anti-social. But, I’m backpacking; I’m not allowed to be unhappy and I made myself a promise that I had to make the best out of any situation. And I did. I went out and became a tourist, saw things that I wanted to see and walked around until my feet were about to fall off. But I knew it wouldn’t become better until I met someone to hang out with, whether from my hostel or not.

I’m aware this blog is for all to see and I’m just going to say it because face it, we all use it, but I’m on Tinder. I don’t use it much, I just scroll through it and never actually meet anyone. While in bed one night, I decided to go on it because maybe there was somebody that would just be willing to show me around. I matched with plenty but a lot of them didn’t seem like they really wanted to show me around as much as buy me a drink and call it a night. The next day, while gallivanting around the city center, I received a message from, let’s call him Q. He suggested we go out for a beer at a local pub and he was quite friendly so I agreed as long as he got me at my hostel (safety precautions, duh). If there was a night I really needed, it was that one. Just to have interaction with a local and conversation that was entertaining to say the least. The best part about meeting a local is the chance to go to hole-in-the-wall pubs and wine bars, meet their friends, and learn something about the city with somebody else other than a pamphlet.

The following day, after I finished a tour (which I will explain in my London post), I received a message from Q asking where I was and if I wanted to meet. Within 12 hours, I felt like I had already made a best friend in London. It was as if I could talk to him about anything, invite him anywhere, and no matter what, he was there. It was exactly what I needed to make my time there better. I feel like Q knew me better than a lot of my friends back home. He took me around London, he understood that when I squealed walking into a chocolate shop, it’s completely normal. (It is, by the way…to squeal. It’s chocolate.) But what caught me off guard was when I said that I really wanted to go on the carousel and he replied with, “Oh thank god, I really wanted to do it also. I’m so happy you said that.” I’m a kid at heart. Always will be. And for somebody that has known me for 24 hours at the point to understand my little kid personality, was incredibly heart-warming. As the sun was setting, I wanted to head back because I needed to wash up and he invited me out with friends of his for drinks and dancing.

Since I learned to never turn down an offer for drinks, I gladly accepted and met them all out a few hours later. The minute I walked into the first bar, it was as if I’d known them for ages. They were so friendly and welcoming: buying me drinks, dancing with me, taking photos, and putting up with my shenanigans. And to think, if I hadn’t met Q, I most likely would’ve been home on a Saturday night having no clue what to do. I will tell you now, that night, will be one that goes down in history. I don’t think I’ve smiled that much in a long time.

The third day was my final day and Q had already said goodbye because I had to meet with my Couchsurfing host that day. But when I found out I wasn’t meeting my host until late, I let Q know that I would be in the park because it was just too nice out regardless of the fact that I still had so much left to see. Surprisingly, he offered to come with me and bring a blanket. The entire day, we sat under a tree in Hyde Park and talked for hours. He walked me to my train and carried me the entire way. If there was a more perfect ending to my trip to London, I couldn’t even guess what it could’ve been.

It is disheartening knowing that I am away from these wonderful people. I know, that I will meet many more. But these guys from the bar, Q, the experiences I had, stole my heart for those three days, and still do. If I could offer one piece of advice, it’s to welcome people into your life and they may surprise you. Don’t judge based on looks, age, or character. Make that decision in the end, after you’ve spent time with them. I fell in love with London because of these people and I am thankful every single day.

That being said, I wanted to write a letter to Q, which I hope he sees:

Dear Q,

My time with you was indescribable. You showed me that I can find my other half, a good friend, no matter where in the world I am. You took the time to show me around, to laugh at my jokes, to carry my backpack despite the fact that you’d known me for all of 72 hours. Thank you for showing me to let loose. To enjoy my time and those around me. Between the horrible beers and the amazing chocolate. The dancing that I hardly remember to walking in the park. My experience with you showed me what backpacking is about. To break free from self-containment and do something outside your comfort zone, and meeting you explains that perfectly. I can’t even explain how much you changed my perspective on London and people in this world. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me and London is only a plane ride away.

Thank you, for making me fall in love with London. (and out of love with beer in London)

Xoxo ooooo(extra hugs),

Emily

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment